[Users] Making v2v easier?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 10:25:01 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 7:13 AM, Ted Miller wrote:

> * BEAT HEAD AGAINST WALL because virt-v2v.x86_64 0.9.1-5.el6_5 from Centos
> updates doesn't seem to know about .ova files.  I was following the
> instructions in
> Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization-3.3-Beta-V2V_Guide-en-US.pdf guide, but I
> figured out that the v2v they are talking about has an "-i ova" option,
> while the help file for the version I am using does not list ova as an
> option for -i, and if I try to use it, it tells me that it is an invalid
> option, and if I leave it off it goes off looking for a qemu///system to
> attach to.  help files for v2v say nothing at all about .ova files.
>
> I am wondering where to find a v2v program that knows about .ova files, or
> else am I going to have to import all my VMWare files to my (non-ovirt) KVM
> host, and then drag them into ovirt from libvirt?

I made a bit of research about this

Strange.... I just update a CentOS 6.4 VM to latest 6.5 and see that
there (also matching RHEL 6.5 I think) there is indeed as you wrote:

virt-v2v-0.9.1-5.el6_5.x86_64

And it seems ova is missing as an option...

Instead on a Fedora 19 system with
virt-v2v-0.9.0-3.fc19.x86_64

I have it....
So for any reason was it removed in newer packages?
It seems also strange to see a Fedora package (even if 19 and not 20)
older than a RH EL 6 one ...

RHEL 6 version bumped this way skipping 0.9.0:
* Wed Jun 12 2013 Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com> - 0.9.1-1
- Rebase to new upstream release

* Mon Oct 22 2012 Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com> - 0.8.9-2

while fedora 19 has been currently stopped at

* Wed Jul 03 2013 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> - 0.9.0-3
- Default to using the appliance backend, since in Fedora >= 18 the
  libvirt backend doesn't support the 'iface' parameter which virt-v2v
  requires.
- Add BR perl(Sys::Syslog), required to run the tests.
- Remove some cruft from the spec file.

BTW in F20 we do have ova too:
virt-v2v-0.9.0-5.fc20.x86_64

and in fact it has the older version...

For RHEL 6 I remained here:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2013-May/014457.html

ANd no particular virt-v2v package in rhev source repo
http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/RHEV/SRPMS/

For sure the rhev 3.3 beta guide is incorrect at the moment

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.2/html-single/V2V_Guide/index.html#chap-V2V_Guide-Installing_virt_v2v

because it says
"
virt-v2v is available on Red Hat Network (RHN) in the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Server (v.6 for 64-bit x86_64) or Red Hat Enterprise
Linux Workstation (v.6 for x86_64) channel. Ensure the system is
subscribed to the appropriate channel before installing virt-v2v.
"
and some lines below
"
7.1. virt-v2v Parameters
The following parameters can be used with virt-v2v:
 -i input Specifies the input method to obtain the guest for
conversion. The default is libvirt. Supported options are:
libvirt
Guest argument is the name of a libvirt domain.
libvirtxml
Guest argument is the path to an XML file containing a libvirt domain.
ova
"

Any light to shed on this?

Thanks