[Users] Unbundle bond0 which virtmgmt is attached

William Kwan potatok at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 19 14:49:15 UTC 2014

Thanks a lot!  It is a good pointer, it is working.

I'm not sure this is a dumb error from a new user.  When I change the network configuration on the first system, I checked the "save network configuration". It didnt' work and dropped the connection to the system.

1. I had both systems in maintenance mode
2. from "hosts", picked one of the system, "setup host networks"
3. Right clicked on eth1, "Remove eth0 from Bond"
4. at this point, ovirtmgmt was on the right hand side listed as "Unassigned Logical networks"
5. I dragged it back to assign it to eth0
6. checked save network configuration
6. clicked OK and connection is dropped

Odd... ON the console, I saw the followings
bonding: unable to remove non-existent slave eth0 for bond bond0.
bonding: unable to remove non-existent slave eth1 for bond bond0.

`/etc/init.d/network restart` and I got bond0 back.  I redo the whole process without "save network configuration" and it worked fine.  I did this on the 2nd system and it worked fine also.

Will

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:56 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 03:17:22PM -0800, William Kwan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> FAQ type of question.
>
> If virtmgmt is assigned to bond0, which is composed of eth0 and eth1, what is the best way to "unbundle" eth1 from bond0?

I'd say:
- Move the host to maintanence, so it runs no VMs and does not play SPM
  role.
- Use the Setup Network dialog to brake the bond and define ovirtmgmt
  directly on top of eth0. The Engine/Vdsm connection should survive
  this kind of change (unlike a change of management address or vlan).

If the host uses a special storage domain, or is not SPM, you could even
do that while VMs are running.