[Users] [SOLVED] Re: Networking questions (LONG)

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Tue Jan 21 03:07:18 UTC 2014

I just thought I would reply back to my own thread with what my team
and I have come up with.  While I have marked this as "Solved", don't
get too excited; it is not exactly the resolution we were looking for,
but is acceptable nonetheless.

After some further digging around, we found that it is possible to
pass hardware (including a NIC) through to a guest.  Unfortunately,
this renders the guest unable to be migrated to another host
automatically.

In a single-server setup (which many of our clients' setups are via
VMware, currently0, this would not make a difference, since there is
no other host to migrate to anyway.  Son in those cases, not much
changes.

For multi-server setups, we have two choices:

   1.) Forgo the virtual firewall and purchase a "Lanner" or similar
hardware to install the firewall onto.  Since a multi-server setup (at
least two server + SAN) typically runs a minimum of $10K-$15K in
hardware alone, an addition $300 or so for the "Lanner" (or similar
hardware) would not increase the overall cost of the project in a
significant way.  (This option could of course be used in a
single-server setup as well, but hardware cost is usually more of a
factor with these setups for our clients)

   2.) Setup a firewall guest on two of the hosts, and configure them
in an active-passive fashion.  As long as both of the hosts with the
firewall VMs do not go down at the same time, then there should not be
an issue.  If a host with a firewall VM goes down, the other firewall
VM will take over.

So, those are the "work-arounds" that we have come up with (nothing
new to anyone here, I am sure) until such time as "OpenVSwitch" gets
adopted into oVirt/RHEV as either an easy-to-enable option, or as the
standard/default switch.

Anyway, this post was really more of a "closure" post so anyone coming
across this thread in the future does not wonder what the ultimate
outcome was. :-)

-Alan