[Users] What settings are needed to run windows 98 on a VM?

Sander Grendelman sander at grendelman.com
Tue Jan 21 14:52:01 UTC 2014

It looks like this (kind of) works on ovirt already.
I was able to install win98 from cdrom on a VM with IDE disk.

There are some issues:
- The VM tends to hang during boot, choosing step by step confirmation
(my first suspect was javasup.vxd) seems to fix this, this doesn't
happen if I use the "-no-kvm" option with a local kvm install.
- No network (no e1000 for win98 it seems) this can probably be fixed
with a hook to add a ne2k_pci nic
- Slow graphics, this can probably be fixed with a hook to use the
cirrus adapter in stead of qlx or vga

Working cli kvm start:
qemu-kvm -m 512 -hda /var/tmp/win98.qcow2 -no-kvm -cdrom
/var/tmp/win98se.iso -vga cirrus

Some more info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=774745