[Users] Centos 6.5 and bonding: "A slave interface is not properly configured"

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Jan 23 06:50:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 15:13 +0000, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> [...]
> > On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 21:22 -0300, Federico Sayd wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > I am having problems with bonding
> > >
> > > I have installed Centos 6.5 in order to use it as host. I configured
> > > eth0 with the vlan of the management network (Vlan 70). Then I
> > > registered the host to the engine (3.3.2-1-el6) and the engine
> > > installed oVirt in the host without problem.  Ovirtmgmt was created
> > > automatically and bridged with eth0.70.
> > >
> > > Now I need to bond a second network interface (eth1) with eth0. But
> > > when I try to bond the nics, I get the next error:
> > >
> > > "A slave interface is not properly configured. Please verify slaves do
> > > not contain any of the following properties: network name, boot
> > > protocol, IP address, netmask, gateway or vlan-ID notation (as part of
> > > interface's name or explicitly)"
>
> Federico, where exactly do you get this error? Would you attach the
> setupNetwork log from supervdsmd.log?
>

> > > I delete any unnecessary parameters from ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.
> > >
> > > This is my network config:
> > >
> > > ifcfg-eth0:
> > > DEVICE=eth0
> > > TYPE=Ethernet
> > > ONBOOT=yes
> > >
> > > ifcfg-eth1:
> > > DEVIC E=eth1
> > > TYPE=Ethernet
> > > ONBOOT=yes
> > >
> > > ifcfg-eth0.70:
> > > # Generated by VDSM version 4.13.2-1.el6
> > > DEVICE=eth0.70
> > > ONBOOT=yes
> > > VLAN=yes
> > > BRIDGE=ovirtmgmt
> > > NM_CONTROLLED=no
> > > STP=no
> > >
> > > ifcfg-ovirtmgmt:
> > > # Generated by VDSM version 4.13.2-1.el6
> > > DEVICE=ovirtmgmt
> > > ONBOOT=yes
> > > TYPE=Bridge
> > > DELAY=0
> > > IPADDR=192.168.1.101
> > > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > > BOOTPROTO=none
> > > DEFROUTE=yes
> > > NM_CONTROLLED=no
> > > STP=no
> > >
> > > No others ifcfg-* files.
> > >
> > > I don't see the parameters that oVirt doesn't like. Any clue,
> > > workaround, bug report....?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Federico
> > >
> > > PD: Sorry for my basic english
> > >

> > I´ve seen issues from folks trying to configure Host network through
> > webadmin and failing one too many times now, so I decided to write
> > something up:
> >
> > http://www.ovirt.org/Bonding_VLAN_Bridge
> >
> > Hope this helps!
>
> Thanks Karli! Though it SHOULD be possible to start with eth0 and eth0.2
> on the host (where "2" is the vlan id of your manamgement network), and
> from there on, do all configuration via Engine.
>
> I'd like to automate as much as possible out of this process, and iron
> out remaining bugs. Hence, I would like to hear more about Federico's

Couldn´t agree with you more. But it´s always good to have something to
fall back on, if only as reference, I think.

> One comment to your wiki page: in order to better intergrate with our
> recent source-routing support (mostly useful for display network),
> please set GATEWAY only in ifcfg-ovirtmgmt, and remember to set
> DEFROUTE=no in any other ifcfg that mentions IPADDR so as not to
> override the default.
>
> Dan.

Does that imply that default gateway is supposed to be on the same net
as ovirtmgmt?

--

Med Vänliga Hälsningar

Karli Sjöberg
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Box 7079 (Visiting Address
Kronåsvägen 8)
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone:  +46-(0)18-67 15 66
karli.sjoberg at slu.se