[Users] networking: basic vlan help

Robert Story rstory at tislabs.com
Thu Jan 23 15:44:25 UTC 2014

Hello again,

I'm new to VLANs and have a few questions. Right now I just have the mgmt
interface (bridged with eth0) on my all-in-one oVirt test setup. I want to
separate some VMs from the public facing net, which I think means that they
need to be on a different VLAN.  I created two new networks, pubX and
privY, with vlan ids X and Y, but couldn't assign them to eth0 because the
current mgmt network is non-VLAN. I was about to enable VLAN tagging on the
mgmt network, but I wanted to make sure that doing so wouldn't do anything
to eth0 that would disrupt access to it (I only have remote access and don't
want to lock myself out).  Also, if it is safe, does the mgmt vlan tag id
matter? is 0 the right value?

Any/all help, hints, tips or references to examples/links greatly
appreciated.

Robert