[Users] Extremely poor disk access speeds in Windows guest

Steve Dainard sdainard at miovision.com
Thu Jan 23 17:46:21 UTC 2014

Backing Storage: Gluster Replica
Storage Domain: NFS
Ovirt Hosts: CentOS 6.5
Ovirt version: 3.3.2
Network: GigE
# of VM's: 3 - two Linux guests are idle, one Windows guest is installing
updates.

I've installed a Windows 2008 R2 guest with virtio disk, and all the
drivers from the latest virtio iso. I've also installed the spice agent
drivers.

Guest disk access is horribly slow, Resource monitor during Windows updates
shows Disk peaking at 1MB/sec (scale never increases) and Disk Queue Length
Peaking at 5 and looks to be sitting at that level 99% of the time. 113
updates in Windows has been running solidly for about 2.5 hours and is at
89/113 updates complete.

I can't say my Linux guests are blisteringly fast, but updating a guest
from RHEL 6.3 fresh install to 6.5 took about 25 minutes.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know - I haven't found any tuning
docs for Windows guests that could explain this issue.

Thanks,

*Steve Dainard *