[Users] networking: basic vlan help

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 18:33:07 UTC 2014

Sorry, privY on eth1.

Assaf Muller, Cloud Networking Engineer
Red Hat

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Story" <rstory at tislabs.com>
To: "Assaf Muller" <amuller at redhat.com>
Cc: "users" <users at ovirt.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:11:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Users] networking: basic vlan help

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:59:57 -0500 (EST) Assaf wrote:
AM> If you enable VLAN tagging on the management network, which is
AM> configured on eth0 (Which also provides internet access from my
AM> understanding) then you will connectivity as (I assume) your physical
AM> switches aren't configured for VLANs.

I'm assuming "will connectivity" should have been "will lose connectivity",
which is what I feared. I'm glad I asked!

AM> For an all-in-one, what I would suggest is the following procedure:

Excellent, I'll try that. Thanks!

My next question is for future planning. There is a second interface
(eth1) with a separate physical network which only contains the engine,
nodes and the nfs server.

 +----------+
 | internet |-----|-----------|----------|
 +----------+ +--------+  +-------+  +-------+  < eth0
              | engine |  | node1 |  | node2 |
    +-----+

Can the mgmt network be easily moved to eth1? Then the pubX would be
non-vlan on eth0, and mgmt + privY would be on eth1. If all the eth1
interfaces are connected to a dedicated/isolated switch, does that switch
need to explicitly support vlans, or does it matter?

Robert

--
Senior Software Engineer @ Parsons