[Users] Hosted-engine runtime issues (3.4 BETA)

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Sun Jan 26 17:13:35 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 07:10 PM, Frank Wall wrote:
> Hi Itamar,
>
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 06:21:03PM +0200, Itamar Heim wrote:
>>> OK, I'll give this a try. Just to be sure: If I move the
>>> hosted-engine VM to a different storage domain from the
>>> command line, will this storage domain still be visible
>>> from the webadmin? Or will it be hidden, because it runs
>>> the hosted-engine?
>>
>> oh - do *not* move it to a storage domain managed by the engine at this
>> point.
>
> oh that was close! I've almost started the migration.
> Would it be safe to just move the hosted-engine VM to
> another host (without changing the storage domain)?
>
> I thought of copying all files in /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine*
> to a second ovirt node and starting the VM there... any objections?
>
> Anyway, I'm here to test new things once the issues I've
> mentioned in this thread have been addressed.

hosted engine supports running on *multiple* nodes, providing out of the
box HA between them.
the setup should ask you if this is the second host and take care of all
the right things to copy.

(iirc, copying by yourself without knowing the internal details is risky
if the first host could still be used. better to add the 2nd host per
procedure, then keep or remove the 1st host)