[Users] Notes on setting spice-proxy console option

David Li david_li at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 28 18:41:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have struggled quite a bit to get it up and running. Over the time, I have accumulated some notes on various things I did so to share with everyone who is interested in doing this. This complements the online doc in a way that might give me a complete picture in one place. However I need some clarifications as I might have forgotten to document certain steps or certain steps I did turn out to be not necessary in the end. It will be great if experts here can help me get the things straight.

My setup is like:

Browser (firefox 24.2 on RHEL6) ------------ ovirt-engine (3.3.2) ------------ ovirt-node (3.0.3)

No direct network connectivity from the browser machine to the node machine.

These are the major things I installed for spice-proxy to work:

    * On ovirt-engine:
       yum install spice-gtk, virt-viewer, spice-xpi
       yum-install squid
      /etc/squid/squid.conf updates:
    acl localhost src <browser IP addr>
        #http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
        http_access deny !Safe_ports
        http_port 3128

       service squid restart
       make sure iptables allow 3128

       engine-config -s SpiceProxyDefault= http://<ovirt-engine-IP>:3128
       service ovirt-engine restart

   *  On browser machine running firefox 24.2.0 on RHEL6 for running browser console plugin client
      yum install spice-xpi.
      make sure VM's console option is set to SPICE

Are the above steps reasonable? any missing or redundant?

Additional questions:

1. Will spice-proxy work with the Spice HTML5 client in the browser?
2. Is the spice-proxy architecture diagram like:  browser --------- squid proxy - spice-proxy ---------------------- VM
3. I didn't explicitly install any certs for the squid proxy. Is it automatically taken care of?