[ovirt-users] MASTER storage domain concept

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 12:47:41 EDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 07:44 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some month ago, in a thread not directly related to this, someone from
> Redhat wrote that the limitation about the master storage domain is
> being worked on to get removed.
> This someone may have been Itamar but I'm not sure.
>
> May you explain a little bit further :
> - what is the difference between a master storage domain and a storage
> domain, except the master is the default and first one?

the master storage domain was where the SPM node stored the OVFs for all
VMs in the pool, the SPM tasks were persisted there, and some pool metadata.

> - when this limitation will be removed, will the concept remain, but we
> will have the ability to migrate it, as we can do now with the SPM for
> example?

it can be migrated today, just the engine does it automatically
("reconstruct master") if needed.

> - or will it remain but be hidden somewhere?
> - or will it be completely removed?

it will remove the concept entirely. later the SPM concept will go away
as well.
most of the changes are in 3.5. federico can provide more color.