[ovirt-users] Migrate from one system to another.

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Wed Jul 2 01:23:39 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I've been googling but haven't found an answer to what I thought would
be a fairly simple question. The systems involved are RHEV but, given
that Red Hat support has been less than stellar and doesn't have a user
discussion list and that RHEV is just Ovirt anyway, I thought I'd ask here.

We need get get a VM from our client's system in the UK to our system in
Australia, so this isn't just migrating between clusters or datacenters.
I know it's easy enough to export a VM and copy its image file from the
export storage area but what's the procedure to import it into the
second system? Can I just plonk the file into out import/export storage
(I really doubt it) or do I need to do something else with it? I know I
can import it easily enough into a KVM/Qemu system and then do a V2V
from there but that seems like a step that shouldn't be required.

Have I missed something really obvious or is this one of those things
people don't do very often?

regards,
John