[ovirt-users] Ovirt Python library is getting error

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 08:43:29 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 10:37 AM, Shahar Havivi wrote:
> On 02.07.14 10:18, Shanil S wrote:
>> Hi Shahar,
> Hi,
> I just tested your code and it works fine for me.
> You can try first to put the url in a web browser and you will be prompt for
> username and password.
> Try that first and see if all the parameters are set correctly.
>
> Also adding Juan maybe he have other idea.
>
> Shahar.

Most probably you need to use HTTPS:

  api = API('https://<ip>:443/api', 'usernamel','password')

Note that the protocol is "https", not "http".

Also, if you still have problems, try to put the SDK in debug mode, so
we can see what is the actual exchange of data with the server:

  api = API('https://<ip>:443/api', 'usernamel','password', debug=True)

>> I have downloaded the ovirt Python library from
>> http://www.ovirt.org/Python-sdk and trying to list out the vms but i am
>> getting the following error
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ovirtsdk/api.py", line 145, in __init__
>>   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ovirtsdk/infrastructure/proxy.py",
>> line 118, in request
>>   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ovirtsdk/infrastructure/proxy.py",
>> line 144, in __doRequest
>>   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/ovirtsdk/infrastructure/proxy.py",
>> line 157, in __xml2py
>> ovirtsdk.infrastructure.errors.FormatError: [ERROR]::Server reply is in
>> inappropriate format.
>>
>> The following code is used for displaying the vms
>>
>> api = API('http://<ip>:443/api', 'usernamel','password')
>>
>> vms1 = api.vms.list()
>> print vms1
>>
>> Could you please check it if any issues with it ? Also is it necessary to
>> give secure connection ?

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain