[ovirt-users] Snapshot of a Volume/Disk

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Jul 8 14:15:41 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 01:33 PM, Udaya Kiran P wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I see OpenStack has 'Create Snapshot' feature for a volume.
>
> What is the equivalent operation in oVirt for a disk?
>
> How does the concept of Image, Snapshot and Volume of OpenStack relate
> to disks in oVirt?
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Regards,
> Udaya Kiran

a disk == volume

an image is more like a template in ovirt.
you can instantiate multiple VMs, thinly or cloned" from a template.
one difference is that a template has both the "image" (via the disks in
it), as well as the default VM config, while in openstack an image
doesn't have a config associated with it, as the config comes from the
flavors. in 3.5, ovirt adds ability to use instance types (flavors) on
top of the template mechanism (and for plan VMs as well).

you can 'create snapshot' on a VM (for all its disks), or since 3.4, on
a specific disk.

HTH