[ovirt-users] oVirt + gluster with host and hosted VM on different subnets

Andrew Lau andrew at andrewklau.com
Tue Jul 8 14:47:27 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Sandro Bonazzola <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:
> Il 07/07/2014 15:38, Simone Marchioni ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install oVirt 3.4 + gluster looking at the following guides:
>>
>> http://community.redhat.com/blog/2014/05/ovirt-3-4-glusterized/
>> http://community.redhat.com/blog/2014/03/up-and-running-with-ovirt-3-4/
>>
>> It went smooth until the hosted engine VM configuration: I can reach it by VNC and the host IP, but I can't configure the VM network in a way it works.
>> Probably the problem is the assumption that the three hosts (2 hosts + the hosted engine) are on the same subnet sharing the same default gateway.
>>
>> But my server is on OVH with the subnet 94.23.2.0/24 and my failover IPs are on the subnet 46.105.224.236/30, and my hosted engine need to use one IP
>> of the last ones.
>>
>> Anyone installed oVirt in such a configuration and can give me any tip?
>
> Never tested such configuration.
> Andrew, something similar at your installation with an additional NIC?

If I understand correctly, you have your hosts on the 94.23.2.0/24
subnet but you need your hosted engine to be accessible as an address
within 46.105.224.236? If that's true, then the easiest way to do it
is simply run your hosted-engine install with the hosted-engine first
on 94.23.2.0/24, you then add another nic to that hosted-engine VM
which'll have the IP address for 46.105.224.237 (?)... alternatively,
you could just use a nic alias?

If you want to add an extra NIC to your hosted-engine to do that above
scenario, here's a snippet from my notes:
(storage_network is a bridge, replace that with ovirtmgmt or another
bridge you may have created)

hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=global

# On all installed hosts
nano /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/vm.conf
# insert under earlier nicModel
# replace macaddress and uuid from above
# increment slot
devices={nicModel:pv,macAddr:00:16:3e:e1:7b:14,linkActive:true,network:storage_network,filter:vdsm-no-mac-spoofing,specParams:{},deviceId:fdb11208-a888-e587-6053-32c9c0361f96,address:{bus:0x00,slot:0x04,
domain:0x0000, type:pci,function:0x0},device:bridge,type:interface}

hosted-engine --vm-shutdown
hosted-engine --vm-start

hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=none

Although, re-reading your question, what do you mean by 'but I can't
configure the VM network in a way it works.' ? Does the setup fail, or
just when you create a VM you don't have any network connectivity..