[ovirt-users] oVirt + gluster with host and hosted VM on different subnets

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Wed Jul 9 07:31:01 UTC 2014

Am 08.07.2014 21:15, schrieb Martin Sivak:
> Hi,
>
> I do not recommend running hosted engine on top of GlusterFS. Not even on top of NFS compatibility layer the GlusterFS provides.
>
> There have been a lot of issues with setups like that. GlusterFS does not ensure that the metadata writes are atomic and visible to all nodes at the same time and that causes serious trouble (the synchronization algorithm relies on the atomicity assumption).
>
> You can use GlusterFS storage domain for VMs, but the hosted engine storage domain needs something else - NFS or iSCSI (available in 3.5).

You should maybe document this with a big fat warning
sign on the wiki and in the release notes and on the
feature pages.

I think many people will just combine what ovirt offers
if there is just a warning hidden somewhere on a mailing
list.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen