[ovirt-users] ovirt-shell

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 15:28:08 UTC 2014

On 07/10/2014 05:07 PM, Sven Kieske wrote:
> Well there is no guide on the web which I'm aware of.
> But to my experience, scripting the shell has it's limitations
> you might want to try the python sdk, which is more useful
> or if you need some webapp anyway use the rest api.
> you could also script the rest api using e.g. curl
> but I wouldn't recommend that.
>
> there is documentation on this here:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.3/html/Developer_Guide/index.html
>
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.3/html/Command_Line_Shell_Guide/index.html
>
> you can basically substitute rhev with ovirt.
>
> there still seems to be no updated dev guides for 3.4 though.

The location of that documentation has changed a bit for 3.4:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.4/html/Technical_Guide/part-The_REST_Application_Programming_Interface.html

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.4/html/Technical_Guide/part-The_Command_Line_Interface.html

> I have automated everything via REST, as I have php devs
> who did the work ;)
>
> There are still some things you can't do via rest, like
> creating network qos entities (attaching them to a vm works
> but you need to create them manually).
>
> But in the future everything will use rest, so I guess this
> is the best way to go.
>
> HTH
>
> Am 10.07.2014 16:46, schrieb Steve Kilduff:
>> Excellent, thanks for the quick reply guys.
>>
>> I am trying to automate 100 vm creations so... If anyone has a good guide
>> that exists I would be very appreciative, otherwise I will keep tipping
>> away :)
>>
>> Steve

Did you consider using templates and pools?

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain