[ovirt-users] fileserver as a guest oVirt

Niklas Fondberg niklas at vireone.com
Sun Jul 13 15:47:36 UTC 2014

From: Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>>
Date: Sunday 13 July 2014 14:51
To: Niklas Fondberg <niklas at vireone.com<mailto:niklas at vireone.com>>
Cc: "users at ovirt.org<mailto:users at ovirt.org>" <users at ovirt.org<mailto:users at ovirt.org>>, Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>>
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] fileserver as a guest oVirt

Den 12 jul 2014 22:49 skrev Niklas Fondberg <niklas at vireone.com<mailto:niklas at vireone.com>>:

> On 12 jul 2014, at 16:57, "Karli Sjöberg" <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>> wrote:
>

>> Den 12 jul 2014 15:45 skrev Niklas Fondberg <niklas at vireone.com<mailto:niklas at vireone.com>>:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm new to oVirt but I must say I am impressed!
>> > I am running it on a HP DL380 with an external SAS chassi.
>> > Linux dist is Centos 6.5 and oVirt is 3.4 running all-in-one (for now until we need to have a second host).
>> >
>> > Our company (www.vireone.com) deals with system architecture for many telco and media operators and is now setting up a small own datacenter for our internal tests as well as our IT infrastructure.
>> > We are in the process of installing Zentyal for the SMB purposes on a guest and it would be great to have that guest also serving a fs path directory with NFS + SMB (which is semi crippled on the host after oVirt installation with version 3 et.c.).
>> >
>> > Does anyone have an idea of how I can through oVirt (seen several solutions using virsh and kvm) letting my Zentyal Ubuntu guest have access to a host mount point or if necessary (second best) a seperate partition?
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> > Niklas
>> >

>> Why not just give the guest a thin provision virtual hard drive and expand it on a demand basis?
>>
>> /K
>
> Thanks for the advise but this would not suite us I'm afraid. It would be difficult wrt incremental backups as well as host machine file-routines.

Well, going by Occam's raizor; the simplest answer is usually correct. Can't really tell what you mean by file-routines but backups would be well served by snapshots (can't get more incremental than that) and disaster recovery could be as easy as a rsync from inside the guest to a remote machine.

The biggest pros here is the ease of being able to setup an export domain, attach, export the VM, detach domain, and then attach and import to a "real" setup when the AIO starts feeling crowded later on. Thinking ahead is never a bad thing, no?

/K

Thanks for your suggestions!
The thing also is that the performance will be very bad if we have the 25TB SAS array shared for our purposes (lots of media streaming) using a virtual disk.
What I am after (after more reading) is support for virtio-9p-pci (http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/9p_virtio) using oVirt. Alternative is the Direct LUN hook (http://www.ovirt.org/VDSM-Hooks/directlun, if I can figure out how to work with hooks...)
Any chance anybody has an answer for these questions?