[ovirt-users] fileserver as a guest oVirt

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Sun Jul 13 16:12:25 UTC 2014

Den 13 jul 2014 17:47 skrev Niklas Fondberg <niklas at vireone.com>:

> From: Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>
> Date: Sunday 13 July 2014 14:51
> To: Niklas Fondberg <niklas at vireone.com>
> Cc: "users at ovirt.org" <users at ovirt.org>, Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>
> Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] fileserver as a guest oVirt

>> > Thanks for the advise but this would not suite us I'm afraid. It would be difficult wrt incremental backups as well as host machine file-routines.
>> >

>> Well, going by Occam's raizor; the simplest answer is usually correct. Can't really tell what you mean by file-routines but backups would be well served by snapshots (can't get more incremental than that) and disaster recovery could be as easy as a rsync from inside the guest to a remote machine.
>>
>> The biggest pros here is the ease of being able to setup an export domain, attach, export the VM, detach domain, and then attach and import to a "real" setup when the AIO starts feeling crowded later on. Thinking ahead is never a bad thing, no?
>>
>> /K
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
> The thing also is that the performance will be very bad if we have the 25TB SAS array shared for our purposes (lots of media streaming) using a virtual disk.

Not that I'm trying to force my view of the world on you, but I get the feeling that you haven't really done any benchmarking to be able to come to any such conslusions. My advice would be to install "bonnie++" in both Host and Guest and compare results. You'll perhaps be surprised just how good a virtual hard drive can be. And remember, it only needs to be able to handle what's coming over the network, so the network is the bottleneck here, not the disks.

/K