[ovirt-users] Master storage domain no longer exists, how to recover?

Steve Dainard sdainard at miovision.com
Mon Jul 14 14:27:38 UTC 2014

I'm running a trial of RHEV 3.4 and decided to run through our DR plan.

I have two storage domains.
vm-store
aws_storage_gateway

vm-store is the domain which contains all local VM's which would be
considered important. I must have put vm-store into maintenance mode before
aws_storage_gateway which caused aws_storage_gateway to become the master
domain. It also happens to be non-existant now after recovery, as the DR
process is to re-create this SD with new disks as all the data is on aws
anyways.

Is there a method of changing the master storage domain when all domains
are in maintenance mode?

If I attempt to destroy it I get a UI error:

Error while executing action: Cannot destroy the master Storage Domain from
the Data Center without another active Storage Domain to take its place.
-Either activate another Storage Domain in the Data Center, or remove the
Data Center.
-If you have problems with the master Data Domain, consider following the
recovery process described in the documentation, or contact your system
administrator.

I tried to fake the storage domain by creating another one, copy in the
file structure, and renaming the folder uuid and updating the meta file to
match the missing SD without luck.

Can I update the db storage pool reference with the vm-store SD uuid?

engine=# select * from storage_pool;
                  id                  |  name   |       description       |
storage_p
ool_type | storage_pool_format_type | status | master_domain_version |
spm_vds_id | c
ompatibility_version |         _create_date          |         _update_date

| quota_enforcement_type | free_text_comment | is_local
--------------------------------------+---------+-------------------------+----------
---------+--------------------------+--------+-----------------------+------------+--
---------------------+-------------------------------+-------------------------------
 *5849b030-626e-47cb-ad90-3ce782d831b3* | Default | The default Data Center

       1 | 3                        |      2 |                    19 |
       | 3
.3                   | 2014-05-29 19:46:50.199772-04 | 2014-07-10
09:24:22.790738-04
|                      0 |                   | f
(1 row)

Thanks,