[ovirt-users] planning ovirt for production

Demeter Tibor tdemeter at itsmart.hu
Wed Jul 16 15:46:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

We have a production environment with KVM+centos6 and we want to switch to ovirt.
At this moment we have 12 VM on three independent server.
This VMs uses the local disks of servers, we don't have a central storage.

currently we have for ovirt

- Two Dell R710 with 128 gigs of ram.
- A third dell server for ovirt-engine.
- four 1 gb/sec NICs/ server.
- Smart GB switch

we would like make an ovirt environment with

- clusterized, redundant filesystem, data loss protection
- If a host goes to down the VMs could made a restart on the remain host
- LACP/bonding (mode 6) for fast I/O beetwen gluster hosts, we don't have 10Gbe nics
- 8 TB of disk capacity for VMs

we don't want:

- using hw raid on servers, because we need free disk tray for more capacity

My questions.

- Which glusterfs method is the best for us for performance?
- Can I make a real "performance" disk i/o by 4-4 NICs ? Or I need 10 Gbe nic for this?
- How much disk need for good redundancy/performance? 4/server or 2/server ?
- What will the weak point our project?

Thanks in advance.

Tibor