[ovirt-users] Misc architecture questions

Maël Lavault mael.lavault at mailz.org
Thu Jul 17 08:14:36 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm a student currently doing my final study project based around Ovirt.

I played a lot with Ovirt to have an overview of what could or could not
be done, but I still have a few questions and stuff I want to clarify.

My project consist of a HA architecture using Ovirt, powered by 8
reasonably powerful servers (4 x Quad core Opteron, 32Go RAM, 2x10k RPM
HDD) equipped with 2 NIC each.

I followed this tutorial to use Ovirt with GlusterFS :

http://community.redhat.com/blog/2014/05/ovirt-3-4-glusterized/

Worked well !

I installed 2 self hosted engine on 2 different servers and a GlusterFS
using 2 other servers.

But since we had only 2 x 1Gb NIC per server, we decided to go with
bonding and VLAN to separate each networks inspired by this blog post :

http://captainkvm.com/2013/04/maximizing-your-10gb-ethernet-in-rhev/

Unfortunately, it seems like Ovirt 3.4 does not support installing
self-hosted engine on bond + vlan. I tried 3.5 but there were to much
bug to be usable and the project is set to be deployed in 2 months.

A colleague suggested me a workaround using OpenvSwitch between Ovirt
and NIC bond to "translate tagged packet into non tagged packet" and
hide the bond from Ovirt. Does this have a chance to work ?

Since the GlusterFS is accessed by NFS, I was able to bond the two
servers.

A few questions :

- What is the purpose of ovirtmgmt network ? I did a lot of search by
haven't found any clear explanation. Does it need to be publicly
accessible or a private ip is fine too ?

- Is the display network used for SPICE/VNC connection ?

- How do Ovirt differentiate VM network from a storage network ? They
both have the same vm role in the interface. Both networks could
(should) be on private ip range right ?

- How can I add the storage network after (or before, would be better)
self hosted engine is installed ? (Since self hosted engine is stored on
Gluster, I will loose connection to the engine)

- Using self hosted engine, does all my nodes need to be installed with
hosted-engine --deploy, or can I have only 2 self hosted engine nodes
and 4 classic nodes ?

- I'm trying to cleanly re-install the second hosted engine after some
experiments, but the behavior is strange :

[ INFO  ] Stage: Transaction commit
[ INFO  ] Stage: Closing up
          To continue make a selection from the options below:
          (1) Continue setup - engine installation is complete
          (2) Power off and restart the VM
          (3) Abort setup
Isn't this supposed to give me information to connect to the vm so i can
install the engine ?

Thanks a lot for this truly well made software !