[ovirt-users] fileserver as a guest oVirt

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Thu Jul 17 12:33:29 UTC 2014

Hello,

for some reason the message was flagged spam; so there was a deplay.

oVirt supports direct LUNs. These LUNs are often already partitions of
some RAID enclosure.
AFAIK the MSA60 is a JBOD. You can use the p411 controller to create
your partitions / LUNs.

The Virtio-SCSI paravirt driver supports a wide range of (=most) SCSI
commands. This way clients can access them as 'real' SCSI devices.

If you did partition the LUN with parted, then the client(s) will see
these partitions also, along with the file system on it.

As you might know, you cannot have 'normal' file systems mounted rw on
several machines at one, you need a cluster file system; see examples in
[1]; there are several open source FS's around.

Also, nothing stops you from mounting a file system read only on several
hosts.

One note on the subject, though:
I consider shared disk file systems as 'old' approach. I support them in
our setup because of historical reasons.
Today in a new deployment I would tend to use more 'modern' scale out
file systems like GlusterFS (support in oVirt is quite well) or
Ceph/Rados as object store file system. Using the native clients, you
basically have a shared disk file system with less bottlenecks (MDC's in
shared disk fs). Also, both examples have APIs - an application using
this can greatly benefit in performance. Again, I consider using APIs
for file storage the approach of the future.

If you need to attach NFS / CIFS clients, you can always reshare these
file systems and use (p)NFS or CTDB if you want to cluster this.

Note, with one host and one JBOD this makes little sense to me.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system
[2] https://ctdb.samba.org/