[ovirt-users] hostusb hook - VM device errors in Windows VM

Steve Dainard sdainard at miovision.com
Mon Jul 21 18:11:04 UTC 2014

I'm using the hostusb hook on RHEV 3.4 trial.

The usb device is passed through to the VM, but I'm getting errors in a
Windows VM when the device driver is loaded.

I started with a simple usb drive, on the host it is listed as:

Bus 002 Device 010: ID 05dc:c75c Lexar Media, Inc.

Which I added as 0x05dc:0xc75c to the Windows 7 x64 VM.

In Windows I get an error in device manager:
USB Mass Storage Device "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Properties/General Tab: Device type: Universal Serial Bus Controllers,
Manufacturer: Compatible USB storage device, Location: Port_#0001.Hub_#0001

Under hardware Ids:
USB\VID_05DC&PID_C75C&REV_0102
USB\VID_05DC&PID_C75C

So it looks like the proper USB device ID is passed to the VM.

I don't see any error messages in event viewer, and I don't see anything in
VDSM logs either.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve