[ovirt-users] Misc architecture questions

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 22:09:53 UTC 2014

On 07/17/2014 11:14 AM, Maël Lavault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a student currently doing my final study project based around Ovirt.
>
> I played a lot with Ovirt to have an overview of what could or could not
> be done, but I still have a few questions and stuff I want to clarify.
>
> My project consist of a HA architecture using Ovirt, powered by 8
> reasonably powerful servers (4 x Quad core Opteron, 32Go RAM, 2x10k RPM
> HDD) equipped with 2 NIC each.
>
> I followed this tutorial to use Ovirt with GlusterFS :
>
> http://community.redhat.com/blog/2014/05/ovirt-3-4-glusterized/
>
> Worked well !
>
> I installed 2 self hosted engine on 2 different servers and a GlusterFS
> using 2 other servers.
>
> But since we had only 2 x 1Gb NIC per server, we decided to go with
> bonding and VLAN to separate each networks inspired by this blog post :
>
> http://captainkvm.com/2013/04/maximizing-your-10gb-ethernet-in-rhev/
>
> Unfortunately, it seems like Ovirt 3.4 does not support installing
> self-hosted engine on bond + vlan. I tried 3.5 but there were to much
> bug to be usable and the project is set to be deployed in 2 months.

should be available via:
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/29730/
?

> A colleague suggested me a workaround using OpenvSwitch between Ovirt
> and NIC bond to "translate tagged packet into non tagged packet" and
> hide the bond from Ovirt. Does this have a chance to work ?
>
> Since the GlusterFS is accessed by NFS, I was able to bond the two
> servers.
>
> A few questions :
>
> - What is the purpose of ovirtmgmt network ? I did a lot of search by
> haven't found any clear explanation. Does it need to be publicly
> accessible or a private ip is fine too ?

just what engine used to communicate to hosts.
also, by default, the display network and vm network.

> - Is the display network used for SPICE/VNC connection ?

yes.

> - How do Ovirt differentiate VM network from a storage network ? They
> both have the same vm role in the interface. Both networks could
> (should) be on private ip range right ?

that depends on you deploying them on different networks?

> - How can I add the storage network after (or before, would be better)
> self hosted engine is installed ? (Since self hosted engine is stored on
> Gluster, I will loose connection to the engine)

configure it on host B. move hosted engine to host B. configure it on
host A?

> - Using self hosted engine, does all my nodes need to be installed with
> hosted-engine --deploy, or can I have only 2 self hosted engine nodes
> and 4 classic nodes ?

you can have 2 self hosted and 50 classic nodes as well.
no need to match hosted engine to the entire cluster (nor is hosted
engine tested with being deployed on 50 hosts...)

> - I'm trying to cleanly re-install the second hosted engine after some
> experiments, but the behavior is strange :
>
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Transaction commit
> [ INFO  ] Stage: Closing up
>            To continue make a selection from the options below:
>            (1) Continue setup - engine installation is complete
>            (2) Power off and restart the VM
>            (3) Abort setup
> Isn't this supposed to give me information to connect to the vm so i can
> install the engine ?

sandro/didi?

> Thanks a lot for this truly well made software !

thank you for using it.