[ovirt-users] Can we debug some truths/myths/facts about hosted-engine and gluster?

Andrew Lau andrew at andrewklau.com
Wed Jul 23 02:14:59 UTC 2014

On 23/07/2014 1:45 am, "Jason Brooks" <jbrooks at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
though.
​​That was fixed in 3.4.3 I believe, although when it happened to me my
engine didn't migrate it ju​st sat there.

> > RE your bug, what do you use for a mount point for the nfs storage?
>
> In the log you attached to your bug, it looks like you're using localhost
as
> the nfs mount point. I use a dns name that resolves to the virtual IP
hosted
> by ctdb. So, you're only ever talking to one nfs server at a time, and
failover
> between the nfs hosts is handled by ctdb.

I also tried your setup, but hit other complications. I used localhost
​in an old setup, ​
previously as I was under the assumption when accessing anything gluster
related,
​ the connection point only provides the volume info and you connect to any
server in the volume group.​

> Anyway, like I said, my main testing rig is now using this configuration,
> help me try and break it. :)

rm -rf /

Jokes aside, are you able to reboot a server without losing the VM ?
​ My experience with ctdb (based on your blog) was even with the
"floating/virtual IP" it wasn't fast enough, or something in the gluster
layer delayed the failover. Either way, the VM goes into paused state and
can't be resumed.​

> > Jason
> >

> > > I think this bug should be closed or re-targeted at documentation,
> > > because there is nothing we can do here. Hosted engine assumes that
> > > all writes are atomic and (immediately) available for all hosts in the
> > > cluster. Gluster violates those assumptions.
> > >
> > > ​"
> > >
> > > ​Until the documentation gets updated, I hope this serves as a useful
> > > notice at least to save people some of the headaches I hit like
> > > hosted-engine starting up multiple VMs because of above issue.
> > > ​
> > >
> > > Now my question, does this theory prevent a scenario of perhaps
something
> > > like a gluster replicated volume being mounted as a glusterfs
filesystem
> > > and then re-exported as the native kernel NFS share for the
hosted-engine
> > > to consume? It could then be possible to chuck ctdb in there to
provide a
> > > last resort failover solution. I have tried myself and suggested it
to two
> > > people who are running a similar setup. Now using the native kernel
NFS
> > > server for hosted-engine and they haven't reported as many issues.
Curious,