[ovirt-users] Misc architecture questions

Maël Lavault mael.lavault at mailz.org
Tue Jul 29 07:38:02 UTC 2014

Le mercredi 23 juillet 2014 à 01:09 +0300, Itamar Heim a écrit :
> On 07/17/2014 11:14 AM, Maël Lavault wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a student currently doing my final study project based around Ovirt.
> >
> > I played a lot with Ovirt to have an overview of what could or could not
> > be done, but I still have a few questions and stuff I want to clarify.
> >
> > My project consist of a HA architecture using Ovirt, powered by 8
> > reasonably powerful servers (4 x Quad core Opteron, 32Go RAM, 2x10k RPM
> > HDD) equipped with 2 NIC each.
> >
> > I followed this tutorial to use Ovirt with GlusterFS :
> >
> > http://community.redhat.com/blog/2014/05/ovirt-3-4-glusterized/
> >
> > Worked well !
> >
> > I installed 2 self hosted engine on 2 different servers and a GlusterFS
> > using 2 other servers.
> >
> > But since we had only 2 x 1Gb NIC per server, we decided to go with
> > bonding and VLAN to separate each networks inspired by this blog post :
> >
> > http://captainkvm.com/2013/04/maximizing-your-10gb-ethernet-in-rhev/
> >
> > Unfortunately, it seems like Ovirt 3.4 does not support installing
> > self-hosted engine on bond + vlan. I tried 3.5 but there were to much
> > bug to be usable and the project is set to be deployed in 2 months.
>
> should be available via:
> http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/29730/
> ?
>

> > A colleague suggested me a workaround using OpenvSwitch between Ovirt
> > and NIC bond to "translate tagged packet into non tagged packet" and
> > hide the bond from Ovirt. Does this have a chance to work ?
> >
> > Since the GlusterFS is accessed by NFS, I was able to bond the two
> > servers.
> >
> > A few questions :
> >
> > - What is the purpose of ovirtmgmt network ? I did a lot of search by
> > haven't found any clear explanation. Does it need to be publicly
> > accessible or a private ip is fine too ?
>
> just what engine used to communicate to hosts.
> also, by default, the display network and vm network.
>

> > - Is the display network used for SPICE/VNC connection ?
>
> yes.
>

> > - How do Ovirt differentiate VM network from a storage network ? They
> > both have the same vm role in the interface. Both networks could
> > (should) be on private ip range right ?
>
> that depends on you deploying them on different networks?
>

> > - How can I add the storage network after (or before, would be better)
> > self hosted engine is installed ? (Since self hosted engine is stored on
> > Gluster, I will loose connection to the engine)
>
> configure it on host B. move hosted engine to host B. configure it on
> host A?
>

> > - Using self hosted engine, does all my nodes need to be installed with
> > hosted-engine --deploy, or can I have only 2 self hosted engine nodes
> > and 4 classic nodes ?
>
> you can have 2 self hosted and 50 classic nodes as well.
> no need to match hosted engine to the entire cluster (nor is hosted
> engine tested with being deployed on 50 hosts...)
>

> > - I'm trying to cleanly re-install the second hosted engine after some
> [...]

Thanks !!

So I did a fresh install with oVirt 3.4.3

I configured my bond before installing oVirt and was able to install
without a hitch.

It becomes more complicated afterward. I still want to use VLANs on top
of my bond, but with hosted engine I can't configure this properly.

If I change the vlan tag in oVirt interface, I lost connection to the
engine, and also the network config is messed up or incomplete after, I
also can't add new nic card to self hosted engine vm (it says the vm is
not managed by the engine ?!?)

My port are configured as trunk allowing VLAN 1,3,4 (1: public, 3: nfs,
4: ovirtmgmt, that's for testing purpose)

Should I also configure my Vlan manually before installing oVirt (eg:
bond0.1, bond0.3 and bond0.4) ?

Second hosted engine install fine now.