[ovirt-users] oVirt Self Hosted Engine question

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 05:48:39 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Did you supply there the same storage domain path used for the hosted engine
on first host? Because you should, if you want HA. It will then notice that
this path already has a VM image and will behave differently. See section 3.3
in that page - it should ask something like:

The specified storage location already contains a data domain.
Is this an additional host setup (Yes, No)[Yes]? yes').

> My first problem is:
> in second machine 'Srv2', after issue command 'hosted-engine --deploy', and
> it prompt '[ INFO ] Waiting for VDSM hardware info'. System will ask me and
> wait my input for (1. Setup finish, 2. Restart VM, 3. Exit). I don't know
> what should I do now.
>
> My second problem is:
> I use another PC web browser connect to my oVirt Engine, and ask Engine to
> add Host 'Srv2' into Cluster.

This should not be needed, deploy should have done that for you.

> It is done and successful. But when I try to
> keep 'Srv2' is running, and make 'Srv1' to reboot.

How do you reboot it? Did you move to global/local maintenance?

> I found that I cannot
> connect to oVirt Engine anymore. I try to type 'hosted-engine --vm-start' in
> first machine 'Srv1', but it has error and cannot start my Engine virtual
> machine. Therefore, I cannot connect to my Engine anymore. How should I do
> now?

If you still do not have data there, I think it will be easiest to just reinstall
everything from the beginning. Make sure to supply the same path when running
deploy on the second host. If you do have, or just feel like trying to fix
this anyway:
1. Please supply relevant logs from both hosts (/var/log/ovirt*, /var/log/vdsm*)
2. After you fix the problem with the engine not starting, I think you can
run again deploy on the second host and supply the same path. Not sure it will
work without cleaning a bit (removing configuration of hosted-engine and/or vdsm).

> My three question is:
> How to make my Engine become HA? Since when 'Srv1' reboot, the Engine cannot
> jump to 'Srv2' automatically.

It should have happened automatically.

Best,
--