[ovirt-users] oVirt - Node install on CentOS

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 9 18:32:18 UTC 2014

Simon Barrett wrote:

> Could anyone please confirm the correct process to run oVirt node on a
> standard CentOS install, rather than using the node iso?
>

> I'm currently doing the following:
>

> -          Install CentOS 6.5
>
> -          Install qemu-kvm-rhev rpm's to resolve live snapshot issues
> on the CentOS supplied rpm's
>
> -          Yum install vdsm ovirt-node-plugin-vdsm vdsm-reg
>
> o   I have to remove noexec from /tmp or the config fails
>
> -          I then add the node from the ovirt-engine gui
>

> After resolving some problems with group memberships and vdsm
> requiring sudo access, all is working. Live snapshots and storage
> migration are OK (tested NFS and Gluster as well).
>

> I couldn't really find any docs on how to do this so I just wanted to
> confirm if what I am doing makes sense.
>

> I also don't have the text configuration interface that I would
> normally get on the oVirt node iso. Can I install this and use it on a
> non node iso install?

If you install a minimal Centos-6.5 and add the ovirt repository and
then add the host using the webui of engine then it will install all
needed packages (vdsm/libvirt/kvm) and you're done. You can then replace
the standard qemu with the one that will do live snapshots. Depending on
where you're storage is located you shouldn't have to tinker with
memberships etc.

Regards,

Joop