[ovirt-users] KSM and cross-vm attack

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Fri Jun 13 09:05:37 UTC 2014

Hi Sven,

Thanks for you response, I will read some more.

But as you say it has been known for a while and I was aware of it for
many years although never diving into the specifics. I always thought it
was not a practical attack vector

What caught my attention was that it was so fast it can be done in less
then a minute:

    Lightning-Fast Attack: *Even in the worst case scenario (cross-VM)
    the attack**
    **succeeds in less than a minute. To the best of our knowledge, no
    faster attack**
    **has been implemented against AES in a realistic cloud-like
    setting. This also**
    **means that just one minute of co-location with the encryption
    server suffices to**
    **recover the key.*

> For the most parts, it's easier to hack you machine directly
> or social-engineer your way into it, than it is to hack/get
> access to a different vm on the same system and than hack another vm.

So that was the part that worries me, if I have a public cloud offering
and someone doesn't hack a vm but simply rents one. He can then spawn a
new VM every couple of minutes and it will probably be on a different
host each time..... with different neighbours.

You could hack every vulnerable customer VM in a couple of hours this
way and it would all be undetected.

> There are also still no automatic tools for this, which I'm aware of
> (if they are, I'd like to be pointed to them).
>
> As soon as automatic attack tools will cover this scenario I'm pretty
> sure we'll see an increase in hacked vms and sniffed private keys.
I'm sure there are automatic tools being built as we speak but they will
not be generally available.

Kind regards,

Jorick Astrego
Netbulae B.V.