[ovirt-users] What prevents from using a very very low-end hardware for manager?

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Fri Jun 20 10:15:28 UTC 2014

Hello Nicolas,

I still consider myself new to oVirt but since I faced the same question
during my initial research I try to answer.

Major Block: AFAIK there are no i686 builds of oVirt, they make no sense
anyway. So you will need a 64bit machine wich rules out any of the very
old stuff.

Minor blocks:
You should keep in mind the 4GB min memory requirement for oVirt engine.
Better go for 8GB in a bare metal system if you like to have more
headroom for future upgrades.

The processing power is of no major concern it seems. I have a single
virtual CPU at 2.5GHz allocated, witch is fine. Also, the minimum disk
space requirements with 25GB are pretty low.

In the end I decided for Hosted Engine. IMHO this is "the future" anyway
and you have much better cost effectiveness in any area.

Also I decided *not* to use older hardware because of power consumption.
Old computers tend to use a lot of power (DDR2 RAM esp.). Since the
engine runs 24/7 a new server will most likely save the initial costs in
less then one year.

If you want to use a bare metal system, I'd recommend a new low power
system with a Celeron or Atom processor. They will even be quite cheap.

Also, I have seen interesting proposals using Intel NUC's as basis for a
two node engine cluser:

--

Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767