[ovirt-users] Kvm to ovirt

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 24 17:31:35 UTC 2014

On 24-6-2014 19:15, Demeter Tibor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two of centos KVM servers and there are a lot of VMs.
> I would like switch to ovirt.
>

> I know, I need to make an import domain where I need to store the VM-s
> before importing to an ovirt domain. I need to make an import domain
> in any case?
> My problem is the long convertation process and the necessary
> hardware. I don't have long time window for convertation, and I don't
> have a lot of free space for import domain server.
>
> So, can I convert vms _directly_ to ovirt?
>
> Is there any good solution?
One way is to generate a VM in oVirt with the right disk size and then
shut it down, shutdown your source VM on kvm and then dd the image over.
Try it with a small VM. It should work.
I have had good success with fsarchiver. Boot from systemrescue CD and
backup using fsarchiver and restore on oVirt.

Joop