[Users] SPICE causes migration failure?

Ted Miller tmiller at hcjb.org
Mon Mar 3 17:16:01 UTC 2014

I just got my Data Center running again, and am proceeding with some setup &
testing.

I created a VM (not doing anything useful)
I clicked on the "Console" and had a SPICE console up (viewed in Win7).
I had it printing the time on the screen once per second (while date;do sleep
1; done).
I tried to migrate the VM to another host and got in the GUI:

Migration started (VM: web1, Source: s1, Destination: s3, User: admin at internal).

Migration failed due to Error: Fatal error during migration (VM: web1, Source: s1, Destination: s3).

As I started the migration I happened to think "I wonder how they handle the
SPICE console, since I think that is a link from the host to my machine,
letting me see the VM's screen."

After the failure, I tried shutting down the SPICE console, and found that
the migration succeeded.  I again opened SPICE and had a migration fail.
Closed SPICE, migration failed.

I can understand how migrating SPICE is a problem, but, at least could we
give the victim of this condition a meaningful error message?  I have seen a
lot of questions about failed migrations (mostly due to attached CDs), but I
have never seen this discussed. If I had not had that particular thought
cross my brain at that particular time, I doubt that SPICE would have been
where I went looking for a solution.

If this is the first time this issue has been raised, I am willing to file a bug.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN, USA