[Users] SPICE causes migration failure?

Dafna Ron dron at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 17:26:09 UTC 2014

I don't see a reason why open monitor will fail migration - at most, if
there is a problem I would close the spice session on src and restarted
it at the dst.
can you please attach vdsm/libvirt/qemu logs from both hosts and engine
logs so that we can see the migration failure reason?

Thanks,
Dafna

On 03/03/2014 05:16 PM, Ted Miller wrote:
> I just got my Data Center running again, and am proceeding with some
> setup & testing.
>
> I created a VM (not doing anything useful)
> I clicked on the "Console" and had a SPICE console up (viewed in Win7).
> I had it printing the time on the screen once per second (while
> date;do sleep 1; done).
> I tried to migrate the VM to another host and got in the GUI:
>
> Migration started (VM: web1, Source: s1, Destination: s3, User:
> admin at internal).
>
> Migration failed due to Error: Fatal error during migration (VM: web1,
> Source: s1, Destination: s3).
>
> As I started the migration I happened to think "I wonder how they
> handle the SPICE console, since I think that is a link from the host
> to my machine, letting me see the VM's screen."
>
> After the failure, I tried shutting down the SPICE console, and found
> that the migration succeeded.  I again opened SPICE and had a
> migration fail.  Closed SPICE, migration failed.
>
> I can understand how migrating SPICE is a problem, but, at least could
> we give the victim of this condition a meaningful error message?  I
> have seen a lot of questions about failed migrations (mostly due to
> attached CDs), but I have never seen this discussed. If I had not had
> that particular thought cross my brain at that particular time, I
> doubt that SPICE would have been where I went looking for a solution.
>
> If this is the first time this issue has been raised, I am willing to
> file a bug.
>
> Ted Miller
> Elkhart, IN, USA

Dafna Ron