[Users] hosted engine help

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:32:24 UTC 2014

Hi all,
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:56:19 -0400
> From: jbrooks at redhat.com
> To: msivak at redhat.com
> CC: users at ovirt.org
> Subject: Re: [Users] hosted engine help

I experienced the exact same symptoms as Jason on a from-scratch installation on two physical nodes with CentOS 6.5 (fully up-to-date) using oVirt 3.4.0_pre (latest test-day release) and GlusterFS 3.5.0beta3 (with Gluster-provided NFS as storage for the self-hosted engine VM only).
I roughly followed the guide from Andrew Lau:
http://www.andrewklau.com/ovirt-hosted-engine-with-3-4-0-nightly/
with some variations due to newer packages (resolved bugs) and different hardware setup (no VLANs in my setup: physically separated networks; custom second nic added to Engine VM template before deploying etc.)
The self-hosted installation on first node + Engine VM (configured for managing both oVirt and the storage; Datacenter default set to NFS because no GlusterFS offered) went apparently smooth, but the HA-agent failed to start at the very end (same errors in logs as Jason: the storage domain seems "missing") and I was only able to start it all manually with:
hosted-engine --connect-storagehosted-engine --start-poolhosted-engine --vm-start
then the Engine came up and I could use it, I even registered the second node (same final error in HA-agent) and tried to add GlusterFS storage domains for further VMs and ISOs (by the way: the original NFS-GlusterFS domain for Engine VM only is not present inside the Engine web UI) but it always failed activating the domains (they remain "Inactive").
Furthermore the engine gets killed some time after starting (from 3 up to 11 hours later) and the only way to get it back is repeating the above commands.
I always managed GlusterFS "natively" (not through oVirt) from the commandline and verified that the NFS-exported Engine-VM-only volume gets replicated, but I obviously failed to try migration because the HA part results inactive and oVirt refuse to migrate the Engine.
Since I tried many times, with variations and further manual actions between (like trying to manually mount the NFS Engine domain, restarting the HA-agent only etc.), my logs are "cluttered", so I should start from scratch again and pack up all logs in one swipe.
Tell me what I should capture and at which points in the whole process and I will try to follow up as soon as possible.
Many thanks,Giuseppe