[Users] [Engine-devel] migration of VM, which protocol actually works?

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 15:16:13 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

oVirt is a gigantic application. The web interface is written in GWT, so the "post" part happens in GWT. The database operations happen in the dal (data access layer) module, primarily using the DAO pattern. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_access_object

> for e.g i need to know which code actually collects the storage path for the
> ISO s during ISCSI storage domain setup.
> also how the hosts, clusters and data centers are made and stored at the
> backend.

Hosts, Clusters, and Data Centers are all "model" objects. They live in UICommonweb. For example, see ClusterModel.java. And they are ultimately persisted to the database using the DAO pattern I mentioned.

> if i want to add a new UI that bypasses some of these complicated tasks
> (again for personal understanding), will I be able to do that.

This sounds very difficult to achieve. Honestly, if you don't need these "complicated tasks," perhaps oVirt is not the right tool for your use case. You might want to look at virt-manager or Kimchi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIMCHI

The VMs *live* on these storage types. They are integral to how oVirt works. See http://www.ovirt.org/Architecture

> Are the protocols them self responsible for sending and getting data during
> VM execution on a node.
> The concept of node and migration has left me a little confused.
> since each node can run multiple VMs , so during the running/execution of the
> VM , do the network protocols actully work, if not , then how is that
> achieved.

I don't understand your question, sorry.