[Users] CPU: Westmere vs. Ivy Bridge

Joshua Dotson josh at wrale.com
Tue Mar 18 17:19:26 UTC 2014

Hello,

The nodes on the cluster I'm installing have Ivy Bridge
CPUs<http://ark.intel.com/products/75790/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v2-15M-Cache-2_60-GHz>.
The latest choice I see in the hosted-engine installer is Westmere.  Am I
missing out on anything significant by choosing Westmere in this case?  Is
there any plan to add Ivy Bridge as an option?

Even if there is no difference behind the scenes from choosing Westmere,
having an Ivy Bridge option would have saved me the time it took to reverse
engineer the need to look at the source code to the need for the CPU
family: instruction sets (performance?).

Thanks,
Joshua