[Users] [RFI] GUI Changes for oVirt 4.0

René Koch rkoch at linuxland.at
Wed Mar 19 18:03:09 UTC 2014

On 03/18/2014 03:12 PM, Ernest Beinrohr wrote:
> Dňa 18.03.2014 11:29, Itamar Heim wrote / napísal(a):
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are brainstorming on what should we change in the oVirt UI for 4.0.
>> for current brainstorming phase, "anything goes" - i.e., I'd like us
>> to ignore current limitations and flows, and envision/fantasize the
>> "perfect solution".

Anything goes is great - so here's what came in mind :)

I would love to be able to use drag and drop in the gui. E.g. Drag and
drop an vm selected in Virtual Machines tab to an host in the left
system navigation menu. Or drag and drop it on Templates tab and the New
Template window appears.

It would be cool if help would be available. When I installed oVirt 3.4
I discovered a subtab "Affinity Groups" for my vms and I had no clue
what I could do with this feature. So I visited oVirt wiki and searched
for "Affinity Groups" and now I know what this is all about. But if a
small "?" button would be available in the right upper corner of this
tab explaining this feature in 1-2 sentences and giving a link to a
detailed documentation page would help for non-experienced users/admins
(online in oVirt wiki or offline shipped with oVirt).

Furthermore I would love to be able to use ui plugins for User portal as
well...

What about a tab Logs where I could access engine.log file? At the
moment I have to switch to console to be able to get more detailed
information about an error and use search bar to find the corresponding
line.

>> SO - what do YOU think we should consider for 4.0 UI concept, flows, etc.
>
> I'd love to see this in the UI:
>
> - auto-refreshed screenshots from the VMs consoles.
> - some improved tagging/grouping

What about adding the possibility to create a tab out of a bookmark? I'm
thinking of the following: Add a bookmark which displays all VMs
belonging to Datacenter A and a bookmark which displays all VMs
belonging to Datacenter B. So for me it would be cool if I would have a
new main tab "VMs in DC A" and "VMs in DC B" - so I don't have to switch
from System menu to Bookmarks menu, but can customize main tabs to best
fit into my environment.

> - customizable columns with sorting/filtering (tags ?)

This would be cool.
I would love to be able to sort or enable/disable certain columns. E.g.
FQDN column is pretty useless for me as the vm name already contains the
FQDN in my setup. It would be cool if it would be possible for each user
to create his view and have this saved.

> - cpu/disk/net utilization column like virt-manger has them

It would be great if I could add columns using ui plugins.
So e.g. I remove FQDN, Display, Status columns, but add my custom one
with the monitoring status or I can add my custom graphs based on my
monitoring system (or whatever) in addition or instead of the defined
CPU/Memory/Network columns...

> - embedded serial console
> - disk operations and migration status with progress bar and ETA.

Vote for this as well.