[Users] adding scripts

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Mar 21 14:43:27 UTC 2014

the threading is not clear to me, and I hope I have the
attributions correct

[I think Greg said:]

> This needs to be done in Java. You'll need to read up on
> oVirt's UI Plugin infrastructure, which Einav and others
> mentioned below. No, you cannot write a bash script and have
> a button click in oVirt invoke that.

Reading this:
	http://www.ovirt.org/VDSM-Hooks
it states as a pull quote:

	The hooks reside on every host in
	/usr/libexec/vdsm/hooks/ A hook can be any executable
	(bash/python/perl/binary/etc).

and then at:
	http://www.ovirt.org/Features/UIPlugins

	UI plugins integrate with WebAdmin directly on the
	client (web browser) using JavaScript programming language.
	Plugin invocation is driven by WebAdmin and happens right
	within the context of browser's JavaScript runtime, using
	JavaScript language as the lowest common denominator between
	WebAdmin (GWT) and individual plugins. UI plugins can take
	full advantage of JavaScript language and its rich ecosystem
	of libraries. There are no specific rules on how to implement
	UI plugins, plugin API is designed to be simple and not to get
	in developer's way, regardless of how a developer chooses to
	write the plugin

I thought I understood the model, but have gotten confused.
Iam left with two questions:

1. is the plugin to be Java or JavaScript? (I think the answer
is the latter)

2. is there a constraint as to implementation language, or
not. I think a JS wrapper can call whatever it wishes, but
this is not clear to me

Thank you

-- Russ herrold