[Users] adding scripts

Alexander Wels awels at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 14:58:20 UTC 2014

On Friday, March 21, 2014 10:43:27 AM R P Herrold wrote:
> the threading is not clear to me, and I hope I have the
> attributions correct
>
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Greg Sheremeta wrote:

Javascript. But remember the UI plugins are running javascript in your
browser, and don't directly communicate with VDSM.

> 2. is there a constraint as to implementation language, or
> not. I think a JS wrapper can call whatever it wishes, but
> this is not clear to me
>
> Thank you
>
> -- Russ herrold

Note the VDSM hooks have nothing to do with the UI plugins. The VDSM hooks
alter the way VDSM works. The UI plugins alter the way the UI works. The
engine sits in between the UI and VDSM. Basically the UI issues a command to
the engine, then the engine issues a command to VDSM.

For UI plugins it is easiest to communicate with the engine using the REST
api. So your instance your UI plugin has a button, which when you click it
issues a REST api call. The REST api call is part of the engine. The engine
creates a command based on the URL and parameters of the REST call and uses
that command to make a call to VDSM. Once the call reaches VDSM then the VDSM
hooks come into play.

So I don't entirely understand what you are trying to do, but you might have
to write some code in the engine to create the appropriate command to pass to
VDSM. In addition to the UI plugin and the VDSM hook.