[Users] run once via ovirt-shell 3.3?

Juan Hernandez jhernand at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 13:56:06 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 11:18 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying to figure out how to use run-once via
> shell..
>
> [oVirt shell (connected)]# action vm vm_name start --run-once
> does not work, and there is no help for "action vm start"..
>
> Does anybody have an idea on how to use run once
> via shell and how to pass cloud-init data over it?

If you type "action vm vm_name start" and then hit tab twice it should
display the available command line options. In your case you are
interested in the "initialization-cloud_init" options:

  [oVirt shell (connected)]# action vm vm_name start <TAB><TAB>
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-authorized_keys-authorized_key
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-hostname
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-network-dns-search_domains-host
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-network-dns-servers-host
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-network-nics-nic
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-payload_files-payload_file
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-regenerate_ssh_keys
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-timezone
  vm-initialization-cloud_init-users-user

You should then be able to use these options as follows:

  [oVirt shell (connected)]# action vm vm_name start
--vm-initialization-cloud_init-hostname your_host_name

However, I think there is a bug in this particular option, the hostname,
that will prevent using it. The name should be "host", not "hostname".
As this is probably the first thing you will need the net result is that
you won't be able to use it currently. I'm investigating it and will let
you know if there is a workaround.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain