[ovirt-users] getting 404 after fresh install of oVirt 3.4 on CentOS 6.5 (+ solution)

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed May 14 03:46:53 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

I searched a bit and can't find a sizing guide etc. for the engine.
You can find stuff for the hosts if you search a bit.

My current guess is that
1. It's based on anecdotal real-world use
2. It's meant to prevent people from wasting time on not-enough-memory
(and disk space) issues etc.
3. In practice, people that use ovirt for more than a minimal setup,
will have to have some nice hardware for the hosts, and so dedicating
part of that to the engine is not a big issue. Especially with hosted-engine
where you do not need a dedicated physical machine.

No-one prevents anyone from doing some research and publishing the results,
you know - e.g. a table showing "An engine managing X VMs on Y hosts used
such-and-such disk space over the first day/week/month/year of use, and had
this-and-that average response time (or something more complex) when running
with such-and-such RAM". If, based on that, you think we can/should provide
more info regarding minimal/recommended RAM/disk for specific use cases, you
are then welcome to update the wiki. Patches to setup are welcome too :-)

Note that current limitations are never failing setup - they are always
just warnings. You are welcome to ignore them (and feed that to your answer
files if you run setup repeatedly).

> > Is it just a matter of scale(number of vms/hosts/DCs) ?
> > What would make engine consume more RAM?
> >
> > Can you maybe lower the minimum requirements?
>
> Or isolate the recommendations to a flat file which is
> commented, and sourced by the script, so a person can discern
> the difference between 'hard' requirements, and simple
> 'recommendations' for a stated use case

Not sure I completely got you here, but if you meant to a file summarizing
the results of such a hypothetical research, then I think that would be
great.

Best,
--
Didi