[ovirt-users] "supported" versions of ovirt (again)

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Mon May 12 12:02:55 UTC 2014

On May 12, 2014, at 13:26 , Sven Kieske <S.Kieske at mittwald.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to talk again about the "support"
> for the available ovirt versions.
>
> I have recently read some times
> that 3.3. is not supported anymore, e.g.:
>
> Am 12.05.2014 12:28, schrieb Dan Kenigsberg:
>> Backporting this to the now-unsupported
>> ovirt-3.3 is not really viable, I a m afraid.
>
> By "support" I guess you mean the following:
>
> There will be no updates (e.g. 3.3.6.) anymore
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Is there any way to determine how long a given
> x.y.z. release will get .z updates ?
>
> It would be good if there is some consistency
> in that, so users can better plan their own
> release management of new versions.
>
> e.g. (made up numbers by me):
>
> there will always be 3 z releases
> if a regression is found there will always be a .z
> release which fixes it.
>
> how many y. releases will get .z patches at the same
> time?
>
> I know you can't expect a totally planned support, if
> you need it, you could buy some well known downstream
> product.
>
> But at the moment it seems very random (at least to me)
> how long a given release is out and gets patches and
> when it stops getting patches.

It typically stops after the next .y release is out. So after 3.4 is GA the need for next 3.3.z is less important. I'd say after 3.4 is GA you can expect at most one or two more 3.3.z for urgent/security fixes, and by the time of 3.4.1 or 3.4.2 the updates on 3.3 would stop

I think we don't deviate from this that much. The actual number of .z depends on the length of the development of next release as well as number of issues, so that varies.

Thanks,
michal