[ovirt-users] newbee questions

John Smith lbalbalba at gmail.com
Wed May 14 06:43:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Itamar Heim <iheim at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/13/2014 05:22 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
>>
>> Am 13.05.2014 11:12, schrieb Dan Kenigsberg:
>>>
>>> If you are planning to run only a couple of VMs on a single laptop,
>>> going to basics and using qemu/libvirt directly, or gnome-boxes, would
>>> make sense.
>>>
>>> If you plan to manage a multitude of hosts, then the benefits of oVirt
>>> comes to play.
>>

>> In the long run, it would be a huge achievement to utilize ovirt
>> even for little vm workloads, especially if you want to compete
>> with vmware.
>>
>> I know "one size never fits all" but I guess ovirt could very well
>> be improved for single host management as well.
>>

> single host management is not the same as roaming laptop with wireless...
> all-in-one and hosted engine should provide a decent solution for single
> host management - what are the gaps?

For what it's worth: my system is not a roaming laptop. it's a fairly
big desktop system that has a wireless interface. so in my case i
think we might still be talking about 'single host management'. The
reason i have wireless adapters in my desktops as well is because i
couldnt easily wire the entire house. Perhaps these days, this is not
such an uncommon configuration as you might think, and wireless is no
longer only common in portable or laptop systems but in desktops as
well.

Anyway, I just wanted to try out this enterprise grade/level
virtualization stack on a single node, just to see how it works and
where the good/bad points are. Other people might want to try this for
similar purposes, kick the tires a bit before a full blown formal
multi host pilot is attempted. The 'All-In-One' installation/setup is
meant to address that; i was hoping it would be a good fit for me as
well.

Regards,

John Smith.