[ovirt-users] update vm in a pool

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu May 15 10:29:41 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 05:07 AM, nicola gentile wrote:
> Hi,
> in a pool the vm is not stateless only?
> I created a pool and I assigned users to it.
> I applied your solution and it works fine.
> I would like to tell you that after I upgrade the server, the firewall
> is always abilitated though I've disabled.
> After that I must disable the firewall.
>
> Thank you a lot for your help.

VMs from a pool are stateless (return to base on shutdown) if:
- started from admin portal as stateless (via runonce)
- started from user portal (as-is) in an automatic pool

VMs from a pool are statefull if:
- started from admin portal
- the pool is manual - until the VM is "returned to pool".

admin not being stateless allows to do the following;

- create the pool
- start the VMs from the admin portal (say, to have them sysprep)
- shut them down, take a snapshot!
- now use them as statless with the snapshot

(Omer - was this use case checked with template versions - that all
snapshots are deleted? does it delete the entire VM?)