[ovirt-users] oVirt Infiniband Support - Etherrnet vs Infiniband

René Koch rkoch at linuxland.at
Fri May 30 19:08:12 UTC 2014

On 05/30/2014 04:55 PM, ml ml wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i am very new to ovirt. I am setting up a 2 Node Cluster with GlusterFS
> Sync Replication.
>
> I was about to buy a 2-Port Intel Gbit nic for each host which is about
> 150Eur each.
>
> However, for a little extra of 180Eur you get a 10GBit Infiniband -
> MCX311A-XCAT.
>
> I would like to have quick opinions on this.
>
> Should i pay a little more and then get 10MBit instead of 2GBit bonded?

Infiniband is good for GlusterFS / storage connection but never never
never never ever use it as a vm network - believe me it's a nightmare.

So you would direct connect your 2 nodes as otherwise you would have to
buy an Infiniband switch as well (btw I'm not sure if direct connect is
possible, but I guess it is). Keep in mind that Infiniband cables aren't
cheap, too.
Why don't you go for 10Gbit/s Ethernet?