[ovirt-users] q35 machine support?

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 3 01:22:54 UTC 2014

<SNIP>
> > > After doing some more searching I came across these two pages:
> > > http://www.ovirt.org/Cluster_emulation_modes
> > > http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Cluster_parameters_override
> > >
> > > It sounds like this may allow me to achieve what I've described above.
> > > From what I can tell the 'emulated machine type' is tied to the ovirt cluster
> > > level - ie: 3.5.
> > >

> > you can switch q35 with pc-1.0 in ClusterEmulatedMachines config value for
> > version 3.5
> Thanks Paul for asking and Roy for answering. I thought q35 would be the
> default anyway the whole time ;)
> >
> >    engine-config -s ClusterEmulatedMachines="q35,rhel6.5.0"
> >
> > then create a new cluster and add that host to it. once the host is up this
> > emulation mode should be set.
> >
> > in 3.6 you'd be able to choose an emulation mode per VM.
> Paul, since this is really useful would you mind to open an RFE in BZ
> and post the link here, so we can keep track of this feature?

Hi Daniel.
Sorry for the late reply on this.
I'm happy that this feature is currently documented in the wiki pages that I'd referenced above and is on the feature plan for 3.6.
The workaround that was specified does what I need for now.
Proper support in 3.6 will need to consider some other things, such as allowing attaching of disks to the sata interface on the q35 machine.
3.5s current workflow doesn't provide a way to cater for that.  Perhaps allowing atachign 'virtio-scsi disks to this interface woudl work fine, but then there's issue with the naming.
Additionally, there have been issues reported with live migration of machines that have the ICH9-AHCI controller enabled.
Any RFE should handle these multifaceted issues - and others I'm not aware of - so given I don't understand all the ins and outs I'd prefer not to raise this.
I'd be interested to hear Sandro's take on how this should likely proceed though.