[ovirt-users] hosted engine , how to make changes to the VM post deploy

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 07:50:10 UTC 2014

On 11/04/2014 04:38 AM, Alastair Neil wrote:
> I have successfully migrated my standalone ovirt into a hosted
> instance.  I have some questions and comments.
>

> Is there a mechanism to make changes to the hosted engine VM post
> deploy.  I would like to change some of the VM configuration choices.
>
> I tried setting the maintenance mode to "global" and then editing:
>
>   /etc/ovirt-hosted-engine/vm.conf
>
> I changed something simple: the VM name.  Then I copied the file to the
> two other HA hosts and set the maintenance mode to "none".

- you need to kill the vm and restart it after you edit the configuation

hosted-engine --vm-shutdown
hosted-engine --vm-start

- also you can use virsh [1] to edit the vm

[1]
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Where_are_VM_config_files_stored.3F_How_do_I_edit_a_VM.27s_XML_config.3F

> No joy the VM hostname remains unchanged in the portal.
>

> Also, the notification system is horrendously spammy, I get email
> notification of each state change from each of the HA hosts, surely this
> is not intentional.  Is there some way to control this?

- that's a bug which should be fixed by this patch
http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/33518/

--Jirka