[ovirt-users] importing a qcow2 disk into ovirt 3.5?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 08:38:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:27:39PM -0700, Paul Jansen wrote:
> It seems that the newest virtv2v has dropped support for importing
> from an ESXi standalone machine - and now only works with vcenter.
> I didn't have any success with using the current virt-v2v attaching
> to an ESXi host.
[...]
> It seems my best option at the moment is to export the VMware VM as
> an OVA and then try and use a newer virt-v2v to import this into
> ovirt.

It's correct that we no longer allow direct connections to ESXi, and
also correct that using OVA is the way to go.

Make sure you are using the latest version of virt-v2v *AND* the
supporting packages.  If using RHEL 7.0 then you should be using the
repository here, and make sure to do a full 'yum update' to get all
the new packages:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2014-May/msg00090.html

> Can someone suggest an alternative course of action?  It seems
> strange that I can't just import a disk into ovirt, construct a VM
> and attach the disk.

It's a missing feature of oVirt that you can't just upload a disk image.

Rich.