[ovirt-users] [ovirt-devel] [SCALE][RFC] ksmd bound to one core

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Wed Nov 5 22:29:47 UTC 2014

On 05.11.2014 21:07, Adam Litke wrote:
> On 04/11/14 13:11 +0100, Sven Kieske wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> currently ksmd is a single process
>> and is thus bound to one core.
>>
>> This leads to some scaling problems such as:
>>
>> If you got a lot of vms on one host with huge amounts
>> of ram you can observe that the cpu usage by ksmd
>> goes easily to 100%.
I wonder what would be the benefit here... I think spending CPU cycles
on something like memory compression is not what (most) users would do.
Already I think this is an annoyance; maybe thats why the process is
niced to +5. A multi process daemon would require careful confining
(with cgroups).
To my understanding the for KSM to really work well is to have many
(idle / high mem) guests which are quite similar?

>> I wonder if ksmd could not be split up
>> in child/worker threads, thus enabling higher density
>> of vms on one host.
>
> It's likely going to be trickier than you imagine with the added
> locking that would be required to synchronize the ksmd threads.
Actually I was refraining to answer Svens question since I lack some
knowledge here. But I guessed synchronization was the reason for the
single threadted design.
Some serous work needs to be done on KSM do achieve this goal. I was
thinking about some map/reduce aglo to do that... OTOH mangeling with
mem pages of guests very requires special care.

--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767